Tableau is one of the best choices if you’re looking for a powerful data visualization tool. It offers both Tableau Public and Tableau Desktop, which are two different versions of the software.
Tableau Public vs Tableau Desktop
- Tableau Public is a free software version.
- Tableau Desktop is Paid version. It is for commercial use.
|Features||Tableau Desktop||Tableau Public|
|Cost||The Tableau Desktop edition is priced at $35 per month; the professional edition is priced at $70 per month.||Tableau Public is available for free and is open source.|
|Users||Used at both professional and personal||Tableau Public is used mainly at a personal level.|
|Data Extraction||It extracts data from various data sources and stores files as Tableau extract files.||Sources are limited to a few categories.|
|Data Visualization Security||Data visualizations are properly secured.||Data visualizations are not fully secured.|
|Publishing||Publishing can be done on Tableau Server as well as Tableau Online.||Publishing can only be done on the Tableau Public profile.|
|Storage||no limitations on data storage||1 GB of data storage|
Before downloading and installing Tableau Public or Tableau Desktop, you must ensure your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
For Tableau Public, the minimum system requirements are as follows:
- Windows 7 or later, or macOS 10.12 or later
- 64-bit processor with two cores
- 1.5 GB of free disk space
- 8 GB of memory
For Tableau Desktop, the minimum system requirements are as follows:
- Windows 7 or later, or macOS 10.13 or later
- 64-bit processor with 4 cores
- 1.5 GB of free disk space
- 16 GB of memory
How to Download Tableau Desktop
To download Tableau Desktop, you need to have a valid license. You can purchase a license from the Tableau official website.
- Go to the Tableau official website and click the “Download” button for Tableau Desktop.
- There are require a little information First, Last name, and Email.
- Once you enter the requirement and click “Download The app,” the download is complete. Double-click the downloaded file and open it, then follow the installation instructions.
How to install Tableau Desktop
- Once downloaded, open the file. Accept the terms and conditions, and click the “Install” button.
- A will appear option, asking for the approval of the administrator to install. Click on “YES” for further process.
- After approval, the installation will start. After completion of the installation, open Tableau.
- The last stage asks for registration. Click on “Activate” and enter your license details or credentials.
- Click “Start Trial Now” and wait for the registration process to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, open Tableau Desktop and create your visualizations.
How to Download Tableau Public
To download Tableau public, you need to visit the Tableau official website.
- Go to the Tableau website and click the “Try Tableau for trial” button.
- Fill in the required information to request a trial license.
- Once you receive your trial license, go to the Tableau website and click the “Download” button for the Tableau public.
- Choose your operating system (Windows or macOS) and click the “Download” button again.
- Once the download is finished, open the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions.
Common installation issues
Sometimes, you may encounter issues during the installation process. Some common cases and how to troubleshoot them:
- “Installation failed” error can occur if your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements. Make sure your computer meets your needs, and try again.
- The “Cannot connect to server” error can occur if your internet connection is unstable or the Tableau server is down. Try again later or check your internet connection.
- “License activation failed” error can occur if you entered an incorrect license key or expired license. Make sure you entered the correct key and check the expiration date.
If you encounter any issues during the installation or activation process, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Restart your computer and try again.
- Disable any antivirus or firewall software temporarily.
- Make sure your internet connection is stable.
- Contact Tableau support for further assistance.
Downloading and installing Tableau Public and Tableau Desktop is a straightforward process requiring a few simple steps. With these tools, you can create beautiful and interactive data visualizations that can help you gain insights and make better business decisions. Following the guidelines and tips in this article, you can troubleshoot any problem that may arise during the installation process and start using Tableau in no time.